Monday, August 31, 2009

The perfect polarbear picture

Well, not really the best, but I wanted you to get a sense for why I think it is so hard to get the perfect polarbear telescope picture.

First- here are some reasons that now is a bad time to get a picture:
1. The sky is too clear.
2. The pad is a mess
3. I am the only one here, so there are no people to pose for scale.
4. I need some more equipment.
5. The elevation does not work again, so I cannot get the perfect angle.

Here are a series of 4 photos, all taken on the same night, all within about 2 hours, and all taken from the manlift. It is surprisingly difficult to hold a camera way up there.

This first photo is taken just before sunset, while the telescope is totally in sunlight. I don't like it because the sky is boring, the light is harsh, and the shadow on the trees is very dark. Taking a photo of a large white object also throws off the exposure.



This next one was taken as the Sun was below the trees. It is okay, but the horizon is all skewed.



This next one was with the sun even lower below the horizon. I think this is my favorite, and that is why it looks more processed. The sky is becoming more interesting, and I got he position of the manlift right. The color is not textbook, but I never like perfectly corrected color. One big problem though is that it is much darker than it looks, so the camera had to be pushed to higher sensitivity, and the sharpness is just marginal because of camera shake.




This last photo was taken just before the sunset. I left the white balance set for daylight, just so you can see how weird the color gets up there. The light was so low that none of the photos were usable due to camera shake. I want to try out a camera clamp to see if I can push the exposure longer.


We dont have long before we lose the manlift- just a few more weeks, then it will be much harder to get this shot. I am waiting for a night that is more interesting, with lots of clouds and almost raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment