Monday, August 10, 2009

Secondary Adjuster and cable wrap

All the parts for the secondary adjuster finally arrived, and Brian's contraption is done. It is hard to tell from this picture, but he replaced an unbalanced jack screw with this threaded rod that is not welded into the structure. There is also a 3/4 plate that is attached to the stainless box. Together, these form a push-pull mechanism that should make it easier to adjust the secondary.

I am afraid, however, to test it since we have photogrammetry for where the secondary is right now. I will have to come up with a way to measure it's current position before we tweak it.



Also, when I was slewing around the AZ, I found this other failure mode of the cable wrap. It turns out that the ends of the 'U' can touch each other, and sometimes when they do, the tabs on the outside catch. Al and Dave had previously cut off the ends on the inside, so when the 'U' collapses, the tabs no longer catch. I am wishing that Dave was here, so I cold send him into the hole to deal with this. It will probably take 1.5 days to get this done.

No comments:

Post a Comment