Monday, September 7, 2009

Polarbear Telescope Assembly is FINISHED



Brian and I left the site this weekend, so I am officially declaring the assembly phase done. There are many things left to be done, but I have been away from Berkeley too long, so I decided to come back.

Although it took about twice as long as I originally thought it would, the structure is basically where is should be. We have some major outstanding issues, like the servo and the enclosures, but those will hopefully get done in next few months. Expect to come back here in about a month.

I took this picture above just as the sun was setting. You can see that the pad is a bit more tidy. Brian was busy trying to pack up, so I couldn't get him to pose next to the telescope.

Thanks to the GD guys for sticking with it until the job was done. I am VERY excited that Polarbear finally has a telescope- it has been 6 years in the making for me. I was just told that we are celebrating 400 years of the telescope. Here's to hoping that Polarbear has as much impact as Galileo!

No comments:

Post a Comment